South Essex Homes on behalf of Southend on Sea Borough Council has agreed to adopt demoted tenancies
South Essex Homes on behalf of Southend on Sea Borough Council has agreed to adopt demoted tenancies, as a means to combat anti social behaviour.
This remedy is in addition to a number of other remedies available to South Essex Homes for tenants who are acting in an anti social manner and are causing a nuisance.
What is a demoted tenancy?
- Where a secure tenancy has been demoted and the tenant will have fewer rights.
- It will be the decision of a County Court Judge.
What does this mean for Tenants who are being anti social?
- A notice will be served advising that a Demoted Order could be applied for.
- If the nuisance continues South Essex Homes will apply to the court for a hearing.
- If the Judge agrees to award a Demoted Order this will last for a minimum of twelve months.
- Demoted tenants will have fewer legal rights than a Secure Tenant, such as they cannot apply to buy their council property and they cannot transfer.
- The right to buy discount period will cease the day the tenancy is demoted.
- If any of the Tenancy Conditions are breached a Possession Order can be applied for and the Demoted Tenancy ended, which will result in the tenant having to give up their home.
- If the tenant has been evicted for nuisance they will not be re-housed by the Council for at least five years.
- Officers from the Tenancy Services Team will be liaising with Essex Police, Southend Youth Offending Service, Environmental Health Section, Essex Probation Service and most importantly the residents.
- We will be collating evidence against those tenants who are causing nuisance in and around the estates and we will be preparing notices to be served on those tenants.
Need more information?
For more information about this service please contact us