What is Equality and Diversity ?
Equality is about making sure people are treated fairly and given fair chances. Equality is not about treating everyone in the same way, but it recognises that their needs are met in different ways.
Equality focuses on those areas covered by the law, namely the key areas of race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation and age. In addition to the legislation which seeks to prevent discrimination in all these areas, we have a public duty to promote equality and remove discrimination in race, gender and disability.
People must not be unfairly discriminated against because of any of these factors and we must all contribute to creating a positive workplace environment where discriminatory practices and discrimination no longer happen.
Diversity is about valuing individual difference. So 'diversity' is much more than just a new word for equality. A diversity approach aims to recognise, value and manage difference to enable all employees to contribute and realise their full potential. Diversity challenges us to recognise and value all sorts of differences in order to make South Essex Homes a better place for everyone to work.
Why are equality and diversity important?
Diversity is also about recognising that our customers come from different backgrounds. If we welcome diversity as colleagues, value each other and treat each other fairly, we will work better together. In doing so we will provide a better service to the residents of South Essex Homes.
It will help our customers to approach us and use our services if we have a diverse workforce that feels comfortable with and understands their different needs. So diversity will also contribute to improving the services we provide.
This section gives you information about South Essex Homes' Equality and Diversity aims and objectives.
South Essex Homes is committed to promoting equal opportunities and valuing diversity. Our aim is equality for everyone who uses our services and works for South Essex Homes. We recognise that we must have a workforce that is as diverse as the community we live in, so that we can provide the most effective services.
South Essex Homes aspires to ensure that:
- Residents build strong, proud communities
- Residents develop shared values and a sense of belonging to their neighbourhood
- Residents are involved, engaged and consulted on all key issues
- Diversity is valued and all residents are treated fairly
- In a fair society that gives everyone an equal chance to learn, work and live free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and prejudice.
- That the diversity of our workforce and communities we serve is a positive asset in fighting discrimination.
To demonstrate our commitment, South Essex Homes has adopted a number of policies, procedures and guidelines promoting equality for residents, leaseholders and employees.
As an employer we will:
- Develop review and promote policies and practices that ensure equality of opportunity and eliminate discrimination for our workforce in all areas of employment (including recruitment, retention, learning and development, promotion, grievance, disciplinary and retirement)
- Ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse profile of our residents
We will comply with:
We will recognise our community leadership role and use this to work towards a cohesive community in which inequality is tackled and equality promoted.
Stonewall Diversity Champion Prog/S E H LGB Library