Positive about Disabled People
Disability symbol - is a recognition given by the Job centre Plus to Employers who have agrees to take action to meet five commitments regarding the employment, retention, training and career development disabled employees.
South Essex Homes have been awarded two ticks for being positive about disabled people. South Essex Homes will take action on these five commitments to ensure that disabled people are supported and treated fairly at every stage of their employment:
- to interview all applicants with a disability who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and consider them on their abilities
- to ensure there is a mechanism in place to discuss, at any time, but at lease once a year, with abilities
- to make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment
- to take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make sure your commitments work
- each year, to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, to plan ways to improve on them and let employees and the Employment service know about progress and future plans
South Essex Homes are committed to providing a fair and accessible service to all of our tenants and leaseholders. In order to deliver this effectively, we need to ensure that communication and the tools to communicate are accessible to everyone.
We produce various publications to inform our residents of our services and we need to ensure that those residents whom may have difficulties in accessing this information due to language, cultural barriers, or those who have a disability, is addressed.
People who may require information in a variety of formats include:
People who can not speak English
People who have difficulty reading because they
Have a visual impairment
Have a learning disability
Are profoundly deaf and use British Sign language as their first language or,
Have a low understanding of literacy
People who cannot hear spoken information, nor use a voice telephone, because they
are deaf or hard of hearing;
People who cannot see text, images or moving pictures;
People who have speech impairment and therefore find it difficult to use a phone;
People who have dexterity problems which make it difficult to hold or manipulate a printed document’s or use a keyboard.
If you require a document or leaflet in a another format or language please contact Corporate Services on 01702 236100