Right to Buy
Right to Buy scheme - do I qualify?
The Right to Buy scheme allows most tenants the opportunity to buy their council home at a discount.
The commitment of owning your own home can be a big responsibility and there are many things that need to be considered in the first instance.
Do I qualify?
You can apply to buy your council home if:
- it’s your only or main home
- it’s self-contained
- you’re a secure tenant
- you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, or another council, housing association or NHS trust) for 3 years - it doesn’t have to be 3 years in a row
- you don’t have any rent arrears, outstanding possessions orders or other legal problems with debt
You don’t have to do it alone, you can make a joint application. So if you’re eligible, you might be able to buy your home with:
- someone who shares your tenancy
- your spouse or civil partner
- up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months. They don’t have to be on your tenancy agreement but it must be their main home.