Repairs and Maintenance
Keep it clean!
Look after your property, or you could face a bill when you move out.
If a tenant moves out of their property leaving an untidy garden or the property in a generally poor condition, then this constitutes a breach in their tenancy conditions.
South Essex Homes will need to carry out works to bring the home up to a lettable standard for the next tenants to move in to. The cost of such works, which are as a result of a breach of tenancy conditions, will need to be paid for by the previous tenant. This is what is known as a ‘recharge’.
If you are struggling to manage your property and are worried that you might be recharged once you leave your property, then we recommend that you talk to us now so we can advise you on how you can sort out any issues before you move out. Contact your Tenancy Services Officer on our free phone number 0800 833 160.
THERE ARE SIMPLE YET EFFECTIVE WAYS TO AVOID A RECHARGE;
- Keep your garden tidy and grass mowed
- Keep the inside of your property cleaned regularly and decorated.
And before you move out…
- Wipe dirty surfaces using a damp cloth and disinfectant or hot soapy water
- Hoover/sweep your floors
- If you have removed any doors, you will need to re-hang them before you leave
- Make sure you take all of your belongings and rubbish with you when you move out
- If any item has been damaged in the property, you need to repair or replace this before you move out