Contents Insurance

South Essex Homes does not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

You need to take out your own household insurance either with the special South Essex Homes scheme through Aviva or by making your own arrangements.

The South Essex Homes scheme is open to all Southend-on-Sea Borough Council tenants.

You can complete an online application form or download an information pack about our scheme including an application form.

The policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.

Aviva Insurance Limited, Registered in Scotland Number 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

How much does it cost?

Premiums start at £0.42 per week for those in sheltered housing, £0.51 per week for those aged over 60 and £0.76 per week for others.

The price you pay each week depends on the sum insured and any additional cover you choose.

Here is the latest table of costs for our Home Contents Insurance Cover:insurance costs

How do I pay the premium?

  • The cost of insurance is payable weekly. 
  • The premium will be added to your weekly rent. 



What does it cover?

When you take out this insurance your household goods and contents will be insured whilst in your home.  The insurance also covers theft or loss of your keys and the contents in your freezer.  There is also cover for personal liability.  Accidental damage is not covered as standard other than what is detailed in the policy summary.

However, a full accidental damage option is available at an additional cost which is also detailed in the ‘Cost of insurance’ table above and in the policy summary.

There is also an option to purchase “add-on” covers for wheelchairs, mobility scooters, hearing aids and pedal cycles, as well as personal belongings away from the home. 

When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you will need to work out how much it will cost to replace the full contents.  If you under-value your contents this will mean that if you claim you will not get the full value of your claim.

Please download the application booklet, which contains a policy summary detailing the main circumstances that are covered (e.g. fire, theft, water damage).  A specimen policy booklet is available on request.



  • New-for-Old insurance
    All your home contents are covered by the policy on a ‘new for old’ basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear.  
  • No Excess
  • Premium does not increase if a claim is made
  • Uniform rate for all residents - regardless of postcode
  • Special low minimum sums insured
    The lowest amount that can be insured is £5,000 if you are in sheltered housing, £6,000 if you're over the age of 60 or £9,000 for all other people.
  • No security requirements
    No need for special locks for windows or doors to be installed. 


How do I apply?

You are able to apply by downloading and completing an electronic form by clicking here and submitting it online.

Alternatively you can call us on 0800 833160 for an application pack, which we will post out to you with a pre-paid envelope for you to complete and return to South Essex Homes, Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS2 6FG..  

If you have any queries about filling in your form, please telephone 0800 833160.


Keeping up the Payments

  • To make sure that you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments.
  • South Essex Homes can cancel the policy if your premium payments fall into arrears.
  • You may not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.



Start Date

  • Insurance starts when South Essex Homes informs you that you have been accepted onto the scheme.
  • We will write to you with details of your insurance payments and the date when you should start paying.
  • You will be notified in writing if, for any reason, you have not been accepted into the scheme.




Special Notes

  • If during the period of your insurance cover your home is likely to be unoccupied (e.g. if you are in hospital, extended holiday) for more than 60 consecutive days you will have to advise South Essex Homes.

  • Remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that the sum insured is sufficient to cover all your household items and personal effects.

  • South Essex Homes urges all residents to take out household insurance, either through our special scheme or by making your own arrangements.